Local Asparagus in Season.
|May 2, 2011||Posted by erikwolfe under Food News., Ingredients., Recipes.|
Spring’s here bringing longer days, warmer weather & fresh local fruits and vegetables.
First up in New Jersey – asparagus, harvested from late April through June.
Asparagus as super food & aphrodisiac?
According to Rutgers University “…compounds show promise in inhibiting a number of cancers cells (most notable colon cancer and leukemia), lowering cholesterol and providing numerous other health benefits. It is of interest to note that protodioscin, which is present in asparagus, has been linked to improvement of sexual performance…” Read the full article here.
Ready to cook with fresh, local asparagus?
Here’s Chef Lou Tronolone’s recipe for Asparagus, Lemon & Mint Soup.
Asparagus, Lemon & Mint.
5 pounds asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 large peeled Yukon gold potatoes, diced
3 cups chopped leek
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 quarts vegetable stock
3 lemons – zest & juice
2 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Tbsp Butter
¾ cup mint, chopped
salt and pepper
1. Heat oil and butter in a large heavy stockpot over medium heat.
2. Once butter has melted add onion & leeks, sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
3. Add garlic and asparagus, stirring occasionally. Cook for 15 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
4. Add 2 quarts of vegetable stock and diced potatoes. Simmer for 4o minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Transfer soup to blender in batches & purée until smooth.
6. Return to soup pot, adding lemon juice, zest, and chopped mint.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.